CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, February 8, 2009

Natural Goddesses

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-VbyM63YYo

I was searching youtube for videos of women with sisterlocks when I came across this most inspiring and most awesome video. The video is of beautiful black women rocking their natural hair. It celebrates braided hair, locked hair, hair worn in afros and hair that is free styled. As if this isn't treat enough, the video is set to this amazing piano selection that I hope to one day find. (If someone knows - do tell).

I was so moved and inspired by this that I sat down with my seven year old and asked him," Do you want to see pictures of beautiful people?" He said, " Yes." We sat and watched the video together and I pointed out all the beautiful hair and hair styles. We looked at the amazing color and smoothness of each woman's skin. We regaled over the features(full lips, high cheek bones, noses) of these natural goddesses. I hope to foster a strong self awareness, self pride, love and respect for African American Women in him. I want him to recognize the natural and inherent beauty that God has graced us with.


If anyone has done anything special or not so special with their own children lately to foster a positive self image, please share.

1 comments:

souultry said...

Hi sorry so late but i appreciate the help for blogging and i will look into it again thanks a bunch. Your blogging is very nice and your sistalocs are beautiful(divafied). Take care and thanks again.