Thursday, September 1, 2011
Wednesday, June 22, 2011
# 18 - A problem that I've had
- Asking for help. I am the biggest do it yourself-er, control everything, superwoman complex person I know. It's not that I can't ask anyone for help but that I want things done a certain way. I never thought I had a type A personality but I totally see it now.
- Knowledge - I love to learn. If I could, I'd spend my waking hours in a bookstore or in a class. From photography to tennis classes, from medicine to cosmetology, it doesn't matter. It's probably why I find intelligence attractive.
- Sweets - My sweet tooth is me weakness. It's a constant struggle on a day to day basis.
- Success - I long for success in my career, with my family, with myself. It's the one thing I think about on a daily basis.
- True Friendship - Someone who is willing to give as much as they receive. Someone who shares the same interest as I, who has some of the same values. I'm not sure why women find it difficult to trust are get along but I notice it all around me. I admit I don't actively seek friendship as much as I do the other things but it is very much on my wish list.
- Travel - I love love love to travel. I'm always planning my next trip or looking at exotic places that I want to visit on the web. I think mother nature has provided us with amazing treats and we just have to find them.
- My greatest fear is Failure. I hate to fail at anything. I try my best at the simplest task because I have a set standard for myself. Failure is never an option.
Sunday, June 19, 2011
I am very proud of my hair or should I say how I've learned to accept my hair. For years I tried in vain to make my hair look like someone else's- anyone else's. When I was a child I prayed that my hair would grow - denied. As a teenager I faithfully went to the hairdresser every 2 weeks to keep my hair from doing what it does - denied. As a young adult I continued to take pictures of impossible hairstyles (either due to texture, density or lack of length) and begged to have my hair transformed - denied. Through all of this it never occurred to me to allow my hair to be free and natural.
Friday, June 17, 2011
# 11 - Mi Familia
- My family is my strength. Everything I am is due to the love and nourishment I received as a child. From the "Soulfood" family dinners to running around in grandma's backyard through the sprinklers with my cousins, I was blessed to have grown up with stability and complete acceptance. Through the years, the dynamics of my family have changed but not the love.
- Boris Kodjoe (all over amazing)
- Michael Ealy (hypnotize me with those eyes)
- Dennis Haysbert (seduce me with that voice)
- Will Smith (He oozes swag and sex appeal)
- Morris Chestnut (take me on a chocolate high and never let me come down)
- I am very fortunate to be a woman who loves herself and her body. I love the curve of my hips and breast. I adore the dip in my waist and the small of my back. I admire the fullness of my bum and thighs. The natural strength of my calves and biceps make me wonder what tribe I descended from and make me proud of a heritage unknown. I think my smile is pretty and my eyes are soulful. I love the bend in my hair. I love my body!
- Burnt Orange blouse with flecks of gold and brown
- Chocolate Shorts
- 3 tiered dangling earrings and an amber bracelet (given to me by a friend)
- Brown sandals
- According to my sign I am stubborn, persistent, practical, reliable, passionate, down to earth and seek balance. This is definitely how I would describe myself. I don't follow my daily horoscope but the broad description is pretty accurate. I've always been goal oriented and self driven. I'm not certain if I can attribute it to my zodiac or my mom but either way - I'll take it. Plus I'm in amazing company - Malcolm X, Janet Jackson, The Rock, Stevie Wonder.
- What if slavery never occurred- I imagine the heights we would have reached would be unmeasurable by today's standards.
- What if hatred was nonexistent- racism, sexism.. all the ism's that hold us back as a society would be gone and we would soar as a race of humans without classifications.
- What if we used all of our brain - currently it's suggested that humans use less than 10% of their brain power. We could possibly heal illnesses with thought, communication would be carried on the wings of a summer breeze.
- What if we reached our full potential intended by God?
Sunday, June 12, 2011
Be warned I have a very eclectic taste in music:
- Strength, Courage and Wisdom - India Arie
- I smile - Kirk Franklin
- Chocolate High - India Arie and Music Soul Child
- Am I Worth It - Heather Headley
- Bruised but not Broken - Joss Stone
- When I look to the sky - Train
- Defying Gravity - Kristian Chenoweth and Idina Menzel
- Into You - Tamia
- I don't want to miss a thing - Aerosmith
- Poetry - Javier Colon
Friday, June 10, 2011
I could write a dissertation on this subject but I'll attempt to be brief.
- Knowledge is power
- The future belongs to those who prepare for it today
- If I knew then what I know now
- Education equals freedom
Thursday, June 9, 2011
I am in the process of determining what mixtures of food work well for me. I don't believe everyone needs the same portions or the same mixtures. With that said
- Bacon and eggs ( with cheese) for breakfast
- Strawberry Yogurt for snack one
- Berry Smoothie for lunch (enriched with oatmeal,flax seed and almond milk)
- Plain M&M's for snack two
- 6 inch Turkey w/provolone cheese Subway Sandwich for dinner