CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, June 19, 2011

# 17 - Something I'm proud of

I am very proud of my hair or should I say how I've learned to accept my hair. For years I tried in vain to make my hair look like someone else's- anyone else's. When I was a child I prayed that my hair would grow - denied. As a teenager I faithfully went to the hairdresser every 2 weeks to keep my hair from doing what it does - denied. As a young adult I continued to take pictures of impossible hairstyles (either due to texture, density or lack of length) and begged to have my hair transformed - denied. Through all of this it never occurred to me to allow my hair to be free and natural.


In a perfect world, once I decided to go natural it would have been an easy transition - right - wrong! For my first attempt I wore braids for 6 months, removed them and had my hair cut into a healthy TWA. The first time I glanced in a mirror, I was heart broken and cried myself to sleep. Crazy thoughts haunted me, "I'm ugly, No one will want me, people will make fun of me."So when I woke up, the very first thing I did was make an appointment to have my hair relaxed. Five years passed before I had the courage to try again. This time my transition was slower. I slowly grew my hair out by roller setting my hair and wearing hairstyles that hid the two different textures. When I was ready, really ready- I chopped my hair off again but this time when I looked in the mirror, there were no tears, the fear was gone and no questions loomed about my acceptance from anyone.

So I am proud that I love my hair!

1 comments:

z said...

I'm so happy for you because to be honest it's a mental transition that we must make. I remember my BC and wearing my hair naturally for nearly 2 years before I started to fully embrace it, but it also took 2 years for me to make that mental transition of acceptance it as well. Let's just say that my hair was ahead of the game but my mindset took some time to catch up. I completely understand where you're coming from and i'm so proud of you for loving your hair just the way it is. :-)