CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Week Three

There's a saying in church "Ask and ye shall receive," although this didn't work when I was a child, mainly because I was asking for frivolous things such as: long flowing hair, thick hair like my cousins, shiny hair like my mom's, curly hair like grandma's or basically any hair that I say on T.V. I have grown since then, but when I was a child my hair was an obsession. It could have been the thousands of pictures I saw in the media, it could have been because I was the only "bald-headed little girl in my family" it could have been because I was mistaken as a boy on more than one occasion. Whatever the reason, I know for a fact that as a child, I prayed for hair more than I prayed for anything else. Ok, so where is she going with this you ask? Is this true confessions or something...?

I said all of that to say this, last post I was complaining about the thickness of my hair; something I took great solace in. It was the one measure I held on to, my defining measure of beauty for my hair. This week I looked in the mirror and it had changed. All of sudden it looked thicker. No matter which angle I turned toward, there was no scalp. It has returned. "Ask and ye shall receive." Although, I certainly did not pray for my hair to become thicker, it reminded me of all the times I did pray for a change in my hair.

I know the pictures above don't show any of this change, but it is a picture of my hair during the third week. The Midwest is known for it's change in weather and this was after a snowfall and after playing tackle football in the snow with my little one.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Ms. L said...

Greetings Phoenix, this was one of the reasons why I named my journey "Agape Locs"...God has truly made us all so divinely unique. Your hair/locs were specifically designed for you, by God...Enjoy them, love on them, their yours and they are beautiful.. As you mature, they will also...Remember we are made in HIS likeness...I happen to love your locs...and look forward to when they are flowing down your back..Keep up the good work and in no time your locs will surpass all your expectations. Blessings,

Phoenix Rising said...

Thank you for your kind words. I am happy to say that my insecurities about my hair have long since dissipated. Encouraging words from my family,serious soul searching and my spirituality help me overcome that obstacle. Still, it's great to be reminded of the wonder that our unique presence brings to the world.