CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

# 6 - Your views on main stream music

This is difficult because I have a very eclectic taste in music. I have everything from Broadway tunes to country to rap shuffling through my ipod. Clearly some genres such as Broadway and Country tell a story and it's hard to critic; however, other genres sometimes disappoint me. More specifically R&B and Rap. I find most released items leave me feeling empty. They very overtly talk about sex in a nonchalant manner. They even go so far as to glamorize hedonistic behavior with no regard to consequences. Other times they degrade women as if our existence is optional to the human race. Lyrics express little value in humanity or life and materialistic values are placed on a pedestal. To summarize, I don't think I've heard anything in a very long time that will be played on the radio in 10 years. The songs are so shallow that they are easily replaced by the next hot beat.


There is one disclaimer. Whereas the music leaves little to be desired, we have some incredible entertainers (not to be confused with great singers). I have admiration for artist such as Beyonce, Rihanna, Daughtry, Eminen, Lil Wayne etc. ability to entertain us but I lack the same admiration for the content of their music. At the same time, artist who can sing but aren't as flashy such as Heather Headley, Kem, Javier (contestant on The Voice) get little recognition and make music with content that addresses more than superficial issues.

Wouldn't it be something if the two worlds meet and start to make beautiful music that matters.

0 comments: